Friday 4 November 2011

UDK Spaceship Progress

This is where I'm at currently with my flying vehicle code, there is still a considerable amount that needs sorting out, namely the wonkey flight controls.



It did take some working out but I'm glad I finally got it operational, the fine-tuning will come later.
The guns do respond but since I chose to not make the bones in the skeletal mesh (this was a test for movement) they do not fire as there is no place for the required sockets to attach to in response to what is written in the code.

I created my own rig based off the one inside of the skeletal mesh of the Cicada so that my own custom skeletal mesh would respond with the code for the Cicada's bones.


I enountered a few strange issues such as the vehicle randomly exploding upon entering, or just raining down from the skybox in flames of glory. I tried to remedy this initially by simply giving the vehicle an incredible amount of health, however when this did not work I then looked at what could be causing the issue and found the collision in the Physics Asset to the be the problem. This was resolved by creating a better boundary box than the one I had used before.

There is a suprising amount involved in getting a vehicle functional in UDK. There is a plethora of required items that must be produced ranging from Animsets, Animtress, MaterialInstanceConstants and MaterialInstanceTimeVariables, Physics Assets, Physical Materials, Morphers, Sockets and probably some more I've forgotten to mention here.


I aim to now focus on designing and producing a spaceship that will be used for the Player and get it running and fully-functional now I have made progress in understanding how to get one working.

No comments:

Post a Comment