Monday 12 March 2012

Environment - Asteroids

So after getting quite comfortable in the operation of Mudbox, I decided to try my hand at making some example asteroids. These are two potential environments I am considering.
I think it would be alot easier to produce your standard asteroid field much like the example that is on the left in the picture.

However I think if I could get a setup whereby the majority of the environment is in the style of Ice/Crystals (like the example on the right), that could look really incredible, however I might save that as a low-priority cosmetic change to consider when the next big deadline is out the way.
So for now I am resolute in the knowledge it can be done and how to do it but it's something
that to execute correctly I will have to set aside a good deal of time.


I will be aiming for the general environment to reflect the typical 'Rock-Asteroid' scene as it is the one at this stage that will not just be the most efficient but also the most effective in building a scene which conveys verisimilitude.

I did encounter some paticular issues when I brought the Vector Displacement
and Normal Maps over to Maya for a test render as can be seen below. 

I hadnt resolved this at the time but I imagine it was due to the lack of a proper texture
on the model which cause the artifacts to look much more prominent and unwholesome
than they actually would be when combined with what's missing.
In a sense it's the opposite effect to what I experienced when looking at my textured
Player Ship without its VD/NM's  applied.


 Below is the asteroid you see in the Mudbox window above, except at its lowest Subdivision
with the Vector Displacement Map applied in Maya.


And below is both the Vector Displacement and Normal Map applied, however I believe a potential UV Mapping issue is what's causing the seam issues which can be seen on this side of the rock.
It may have been an error caused by myself during the sculpting of the object.
I am hopeful a fresh build of some asteroids will not encounter this issue again.

 

No comments:

Post a Comment