Monday 12 March 2012

Texturing - Player Ship - Selection

Taking the UV Map that was produced as specified in the previous post I moved forward into gathering a collection of samples that would best dictate the intended look for my Player Ship. In my concepts for this ship I tried to experiment with scratched/damaged detailing over a cool-silver exterior hull. It was then when I began to play around with that colour scheme I realised it didn't truly fit the form that I had visualised during my conceptual stages. I wanted something that reflected a darker and more gritty semblance to humanity within my game.

To take two extreme examples, below you can see a picture of the Defiant from Star Trek:First Contact. Note how the ship is very clean in design and this is a theme that is prevalent across all the designs in Star Trek. Further below is a picture of the Battlestar Galactica from the remake-series that goes by the same name. In BSG humanity is on the run and the ships are very far from being fresh off the manufacturing line.



 

The design aspect I wanted to be closer to within my game for all the
ships/stations falls closer to that of the dark gritty nature exhibited within the BSG series.
I want it to be evident to the player that space-travel is not just an everyday occurence, but it has been in use for so long that there is a majority of ships in states of disrepair.

Here are the final texture selections I made that compose
the general look and feel for my finished ship texture:
 "Ship Hull"
 "Metal Grate"
"Metal Diamond"
"Warning Hazard"
 "Frosted Glass"
(Subject to change)

These are some additional textures I made by sampling the Ship Hull texture to further create a range of differing patterns across the Player Ship.

This was done a multitude of time in many different ways, here are two examples that should highlight the way in which I approached taking the visual data from the base texture and then modifying it to remove visual artificats that would 'clue' the viewer in to the fact it is a modified version of the texture making up the majority of the ship.

"Ship Hull 1"
"Ship Hull 2"

Coming next is a breakdown of the texturing process onto the UV Maps...

No comments:

Post a Comment